The purpose of this course is to teach some basic techniques that can be used to operate a bucket truck safely and efficiently. Techniques for setting up and operating a bucket truck at three typical job sites are described. It is assumed that participants is already familiar with the basic parts of a bucket truck and understands how to use the bucket controls to operate the booms. After completing the course, participants should practice setting up and operating a bucket truck at a job site under the supervision of experienced personnel. At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to set up and operate a bucket truck at a job site.
Demonstrate how a handline is used in safe bucket truck operation.
• Demonstrate safe operation of hydraulic tools from a bucket truck.
• Demonstrate the appropriate safety procedures that should be observed when working from a bucket.
• Demonstrate where cones and signs should be placed at a job site that is located in an intersection.
• Describe factors that should be considered to avoid overloading a bucket.
• Describe factors that should be considered when setting up a bucket truck at an intersection.
• Describe how a bucket truck can be positioned to reach various parts of a work area.
• Describe the functions of outriggers.
• Describe the general principles of traffic control around a work site.
• Describe the role of the crew member on the ground in bucket truck operation.
• Explain how a bucket truck should be positioned on a slope.
• Explain how telescopic, folding, and two-stage outriggers operate.
• Identify the three basic parts of a typical outrigger.
• Identify work surface conditions that may not withstand the weight of a bucket truck.
• Safely maneuver a bucket to and from a work area.
• Safely position a bucket truck on a divided highway.
• Safely position a bucket truck with outriggers at an unpaved job site.
• Set the hydraulic system controls on a bucket truck to power the lift.
• Use outriggers to stabilize and/or level a bucket truck.
• Using traffic cones and signs, define a work area in the curb lane of a curved divided highway.
• List three factors that should be considered when setting up a bucket truck at a job site.
Upon a successful pass, you will be issued with a Printable Certificate of Competence valid for 1 Year.