Typical candidates will be health and safety managers, building owners, facilities managers, maintenance and engineering contractors, and those with responsibility for the safe storage of water and safe operation of such water systems.
The Legionella Awareness course is ideal for delegates who want an introduction to Legionnaires' disease and matters concerning the control of legionella bacteria in hot and cold water services and other risk systems.
The Legionella Awareness course consists of the following outcomes:
- Knowledge of the origin of Legionnaires’ disease, legionella bacteria and the multiplication factors which alow it to proliferate in engineered water systems
- Identification of the main conditions that are required for legionella associated infection to take place and how this understanding may be used to manage and control risk more effectively
- Awareness of current legal requirements, approved codes of practice and best practice guidance including COSHH, the HSE’s ACOP L8 and HSG274 Parts 2 and 3
- Basic design of water systems and their components
- An overview of “other” risk systems
- Implementation of legionella control regimes with suitable monitoring programmes and records as identified in the Health & Safety Executives technical guidance documents HSG274 Parts 2 and 3 dealing with the control of legionella bacteria in both “hot and cold water systems” and “other risk systems”
- The written scheme of control
- General awareness of the risk assessment processes as defined in BS 8580:2010 for hot and cold water systems
- Examination – assessment and test of competence
- Discussion and feedback.
Upon successful completion of the Legionella Awareness course, candidates will receive a City & Guilds 'Certificate of Attainment'. This certificate should be retained as evidence of formal training in this subject.
You are not required to take any equipment on the Legionella Awareness course.
No previous experience or qualifications are needed in order to take the Legionella Awareness course.
Do I need to pay for my training before I do it?
Yes you do, you can pay online when you book your course, or call 0845 872 3411 and pay with a credit card over the phone. Customers with credit terms, please call Training Plus to book your course on 0845 872 3411.
What is Legionnaires Disease?
Legionnaires’ disease is a severe form of pneumonia. Pneumonia is an infection that causes the small air sacs in your lungs (alveoli) and the tissues around them to become inflamed. Legionella bacteria also causes Pontiac fever. This is a milder illness than Legionnaires’ disease, which causes similar flu-like symptoms, but doesn’t cause pneumonia.
Can you cater for students with special needs?
Yes, but as with all special requirements that differ from the norm, please make us aware of your requirements and we will do our best to provide the appropriate support.
Are there any car parking spaces available?
Yes, there are a lot of FREE car parking spaces available in the area.
What accommodation is available?
There are a variety of hotels and B & B’s in the area. There is a list available to assist you with booking your stay.
Am I going to feel safe during my course participation?
Beside the fact that our staff and the environment of the school will make you feel happy and safe, CCTV is operating in most of the school’s areas.
I’m getting on a bit, is it like going back to school and will I feel out of place?
Not at all. A large percentage of our learners are mature students simply keeping up to date with current standards. Everybody is made to feel welcome in the centre.