Personnel that are, or could be, working in an environment that could become contaminated by H2S gas.
The aims and objectives of the Basic H2S Training are to ensure that the delegate gains the required knowledge and understanding of the particular hazards and properties of H2S, and appropriate emergency response actions to take should a H2S related incident arise.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate their skills and understanding of the following key areas.
To successfully complete this training, candidates must be able to explain:
- hydrogen sulphide – how it is formed and where it is found
- other names used to describe H2S
- properties and characteristics of H2S
- parts per million (ppm) as a measurement parameter
- occupational exposure limits to H2S
- factors affecting individual susceptibility to H2S
- types of detector equipment
- types of respiratory equipment
- pre-use checks of personal detection devices and EBA
To successfully complete this training, candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- operating personal H2S detection equipment (including checks)
- responding to an alarm
- donning and operating (including checks) an escape breathing apparatus (EBA) with a mask within 30 seconds
- donning and operating (including checks) an EBA with a hood within 30 seconds
- connecting to a pressurised cascade breathing system with an activated EBA which has been donned correctly
- disconnecting from a pressurised cascade breathing system with an activated EBA which has been donned correctly
On successful completion of the course, an OPITO Certificate will be issued to all candidates.
Candidates are not required to bring any equipment to this course.
There are no pre-requisites.
Do I need to pay for my training before I do it?
Yes you do, you can pay online when you book your course, or call 0845 872 3411 and pay with a credit card over the phone. Customers with credit terms, please call Training Plus to book your course on 0845 872 3411.
Can you cater for students with special needs?
Yes, but as with all special requirements that differ from the norm, please make us aware of your requirements and we will do our best to provide the appropriate support.
Are there any car parking spaces available?
Yes, there are a lot of FREE car parking space available in the area.
What accommodation is available?
There are a variety of hotels and B&B’s in the area. There is a list available to assist you with booking your stay.
Am I going to feel safe during my course participation?
Beside the fact that our staff and the environment of the school will make you feel happy and safe, CCTV is operating in most of the school’s areas.
I’m getting on a bit, is it like going back to school and will I feel out of place?
Not at all. A large percentage of our learners are mature students simply keeping up to date with current standards. Everybody is made to feel welcome in the centre.
Do I need to be clean shaven for a Breathing Apparatus exercise?
To get a good seal around the face it is recommended that delegates who use full working on set breathing apparatus or similar masks are clean shaven. We do not insist on being clean shaven as you will be training with no real risk, however, your employer or supervisor may insist on you being clean shaven.
What is H2S?
H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) is a colorless, flammable, extremely hazardous gas with a ‘rot- ten egg’ smell.