Our petrol cut off saw training courses are suitable for operators with no previous experience of operating petrol cut-off saws, candidates with operating experience but no formal training and candidates with existing certification requiring refresher training or additional training to cover any gaps in operating ability or knowledge.
Stihl Saws are designed for anyone expected to use petrol cut off saws and are designed to teach candidates the correct procedure for safely cutting a variety of common materials.
Our petrol cut off saw training courses cover the following theoretical and practical elements:
- Regulations and legislation governing petrol cut-off saws and their cutting discs
- The main components of the petrol cut-off saw and their functions
- The risks of dust, noise, vibration and asphyxiation arising from use and the need for correct PPE
- Operators safety code including the risks from kickback, pull away, climbing and pinching
- Pre-use checks and fault reporting procedures
- Selection, identification and fitting of abrasive wheels to cut-off saws including guard adjustment
- Petrol cut-off saw inspection and maintenance
- Selection, examination and fitting of cutting wheels to petrol cut off saws
- Preparation and assessment of the work area
- Carrying, holding and guiding the cut-off saw
- Safe cold and warm start procedures
- Dust suppression
- Safe refuelling
- Safe use when cutting vertically and horizontally (concrete and steel)
- Transport and storage of the cut-off saw
The practical elements of the course are continually assessed and the course concludes with a theoretical assessment.
On successful completion of this course, candidates will be awarded with a Certificate of Competence.
Candidates must be in possession of the correct PPE:
- Sturdy safety footwear
- Flame retardant waterproof clothing
- Good quality gloves
- Eye protection (safety glasses, goggles or face visor)
- Hard hat
- Hearing protection and an FFP3 dust mask.
Reasonably fit: The cut-off saw weighs on average 10 kg and must be supported throughout the duration of the cut.
Have good hand eye co-ordination: the saw requires to be guided with a degree of accuracy and skill to a cut line.
Free from the effects of alcohol and/or drugs: the cut-off saw is a powerful and dangerous machine. We have a Health and Safety responsibility to our instructors and trainees and will reject any candidate we suspect is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Do I need to pay for my training before I do it?
Yes you do, you can pay online when you book your course, or call 0845 872 3411 and pay with a credit card over the phone. Customers with credit terms, please call Training Plus to book your course on 0845 872 3411.
Can you cater for students with special needs?
Yes, but as with all special requirements that differ from the norm, please make us aware of your requirements and we will do our best to provide the appropriate support.
Are there any car parking spaces available?
Yes, there are a lot of FREE car parking spaces available in the area.
Am I going to feel safe during my course participation?
Beside the fact that our staff and the environment of the school will make you feel happy and safe, CCTV is operating in most of the school’s areas.
I’m getting on a bit, is it like going back to school and will I feel out of place?
Not at all. A large percentage of our learners are mature students simply keeping up to date with current standards. Everybody is made to feel welcome in the centre.